Explain, draw, or otherwise demonstrate the life cycle of waterfowl.
Describe characteristics of waterfowl.
Describe similarities and differences among different species of waterfowl, for example: ducks and puffins.
Identify ways that waterfowl depend upon their environment.
Give examples of how one change in a system affects other parts of the system.
Predict what would be affected if a disease caused the death of all the waterfowl in the area.
Analyze how the finite resources in an ecosystem limit the types and populations of organisms within it.
Analyze potential effects of changes in the earth’s oceans and atmosphere on waterfowl.
Create a finished portfolio of the projects in this unit to display at reviews or family gatherings.
Scriptures: Genesis 1:20, Genesis 2:15, Psalm 115:15-16, Job 35:11, Romans 1:20, Revelation 11:18, Genesis 1:26, Genesis 7:14, Matthew 6:26, Job 12:7, Deuteronomy 22:6-7, Jeremiah 8:7, Genesis 6:7, Genesis 7:3, Genesis 9:1-4, Leviticus 11:13-19, Deuteronomy 14:11-20, Acts 10:9-15, Psalm 102:6, Psalm 104:16-17
Vocabulary + Spelling: Environment, Conservation, Egg, Duck, Goose, Ecosystem, Pelican, Stork, Gull, Heron, Nest, Prey, Predator, Life cycle, Food chain, Food web, Aquatic, Migrate, Ecology, Loons, Albatross, brood, patches, down, feathers, Penguin
1. Create a Cover for your Three-ring binder. If you’re using a notebook with a pocket on the front do this on Paper. If this will be your actual cover with brads then you’ll want to use oak tag or another heavy paper. I cut a file folder in half and use it as the front and back of my portfolio. I add Items to the portfolio in this order.
The daily log
Digital Scrapbook pages, Activity pages and worksheets in the order the Student completed.
2. Math Supplement: I incorporate math to my units by selecting clipart to add to the math worksheets you create.
3. Take a field trip to locations where waterfowl can be seen.
4. Look up waterfowl and browse through the links. Take notes any interesting waterfowl you find.
5. Draw a food chain for the Waterfowl ecosystem
6. Create a duck shape book
7. Create a poster illustrating the cycles of Waterfowl life
8. Choose your favorite waterfowl to write a report on.
9. Memorize or Copy the cited scriptures. Write a paragraph about how they relate to waterfowl? Write a paragraph about how do these Scriptures affect your thinking? Write a paragraph about what does the Scripture tell you about the Creator?
10. Use hand lenses to examine feathers picked up at the beach, park or backyard. Also try looking at them through a microscope. Draw what you see.
11. Watch Fiction movies that demonstrate the food chain of waterfowl. An example might be in Finding Nemo the pelicans and seagulls are shown eating or attempting to eat their natural diet.
12.Printable penguin shape book
13.Mini Unit on the Canadian Goose
14.Experiment for egg shells
15. Create a GeoSafari card set matching clipart of a waterfowl species to its name. Also try making cards that label them in the foreign language your child is taking.
16.Everything about Swans
17. SimPark software By Maxis Software is a wonderful program to teach ecology and park management.
18. Make an origami duck
19.Create Dice to use with a Gameboard you make for the unit.
20. Duck Diorama – Instructions are in German but I was able to figure out how to make it work.
21. Mandarin Duck model foreign language
22. Canadian Goose foreign language
23. These models are stunningly beautiful when completed but should only be undertaken by advanced students! – Dancing Cranes
Yellow Eyed Penguin
24. How Do Contaminants Move and Change in an Ecosystem?
25. Some Ducks Let Young Be Raised by Relatives
26. Q is for Duck: Using Alphabet Books with Struggling Writers
27. “Superflu” a Threat as Ducks Emerge as Stealth Carriers
28. What’s in the Speed Range
29. Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
30. Duck call vowel study
31. The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, Sorry I couldn’t resist this familiar children’s tale.
32. Kid Song 6 Little Ducks
33. Kid Song Rubber Ducky
34. Kid song Little White Duck
35. Kid song Five Little Ducks
36. Waterfowl list