Magic School Bus chapter book #15: Voyage to the Volcano by Judith Stamper
The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top by Gail Herman
Eyewitness: Volcano and Earthquake by Susanna Van Rose
The Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopedia pp. 42-43
Points to Study
1. What is a volcano?
2. What are the parts of a volcano?
3. What are the different kinds of volcanoes? (include shapes, and underwater)
4. What are different kinds of eruptions?
5. What does a volcanologist do?
6. What are 2 different kinds of lava?
7. What is the Ring of Fire?
8. What is the most active volcano on Earth?
9. What is the difference between magma and lava?
10. How can volcanoes change the weather?
11. What are rift volcanoes?
12. Where in the US are volcanoes found?
13. What are the 3 states of a volcano?
Erupting Volcano – instructions in Voyage to the Volcano pp. 8-9
Question: Does the amount of baking soda and vinegar used affect results?
You can extend this by studying about Pompeii and the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. One book for that is in the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne