This free orchestra lapbook is a great introduction to the orchestra, music history, and instrument families.
The student will learn the types of instruments and about different periods in musical history.
This free lapbook – learning folder includes 15 different printable booklets.
- The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music! by Robert Levine
- The Story of the Incredible Orchestra by Bruce Koscielniak
- Resource site: Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Printable Orchestra Lapbook Activities:
- What is an Orchestra Activity Sheet – Explain what an orchestra is.
- History of the Orchestra Activity Sheet – Answer questions about the orchestra’s history.
- Conducting Activity Sheet – Draw how a conductor uses his hands to conduct the music.
- Conductor Activity Sheet – What does a conductor do?
- Types of Instruments Activity Sheet – What types of instruments are found in an orchestra?
- Strings Activity Sheet – Write about string instruments.
- Woodwind Activity Sheet – Write about woodwind instruments.
- Percussion Activity Sheet – Write about percussion instruments.
- Brass Activity Sheet – Write about brass instruments.
- Keyboard Activity Sheet – Write about keyboard instruments.
- Baroque Period Activity Sheet – Write about the Baroque Period.
- Classical Period Activity Sheet – Write about the Classical Period.
- Romantic Period Activity Sheet – Write about the Romantic Period.
- Modern Period Activity Sheet – Write about the Modern Period.
- Composers – Write about composers in each of the different periods.
Download the free printable templates for the Orchestra lapbook.
Additional Orchestra Activities:
- Listen to music from various composers and musical time periods.
- Visit an orchestra’s performance. Many universities have low cost or even free performances available throughout the school year.
- Listen to instrumental music from each instrument family.
- Visit a music store to see various instruments firsthand. Most small instrument shops are very happy to share their knowledge with interested children!
- Instrument Families Worksheet
- Music Notes Notebooking Page
- Matching Worksheet – Music Theory
- Music Theory Rhythm Worksheet
- Composer and Musician Biography Pages