The Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling
The Usborne Internet-Linked Guide to Asia, Elizabeth Dalby
* Look at the original illustrations for the story. These can be found at The Baldwin Online Children’s Literature Project.
* The story contains a number of poems/ songs. Can you memorize one of these?
* Who are all the animal characters in the story? Find out about these animals. Enchanted Learning might help.
* Find out as much as you can about Rudyard Kipling. Can you create a timeline of his life? The Baldwin project has some biographical information about Rudyard Kipling.
* Vocabulary: there are a number of Hindi words that are now in common usage in English. Can you find the Hindi words for the following? What do they mean in Hindi and what do they mean for us today?
pajamas, dinghy, cot, catamaran, bungalow, shampoo, bandana, jungle,
verandah, bangle, loot, bandana
If you google “English words of Hindi origin” you will find plenty of places to help you.
* Snakes: This story talks about cobras. What snakes are there where you live? Are they venomous? What should you do if you are bitten by a snake? Find out how to apply a compression bandage and practice this.